Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Teaching for Engaged Learning

I'm still mulling over what "engaged learning" might mean - this time from a teacher (or teachers - no single teacher can do all this!) point of view. There are a number of ways of mapping this and the following may not be the best - it tends to imply some isolation of concepts that are very much connected and interdependant.... but too many lines begins to look very messy - which it is!


I might just let this sit a while... it needs work... and i'm not sure how useful it is - except to show how messy learning and teaching really are... :-)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Roger, check out Charles's take on engagement - he talks about Csikszentmihaly's Flow with the tension at the intersection of challenge and skills. Flow explains engagement in a practical way that helps educators planning learning experiences

low challenge + low skill = apathy
low challenge + high skill = boredom
high challenge + low skill = anxiety
challenge matching skill leads to feelings of control, arousal and then "flow"

Csikszentmihaly helps clarify engagement in an educational context

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Roger Stack said...

thanks for the link... yes I think at the end of the day we need these simpler practical tools when walking into our classrooms.

To take that even further I like Parker Palmer's idea of leaving everything at the classroom door and just BEING with students... listening - at many levels...

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger,
I haven't written to you in a while, but I know that Miriam martineau has been in touch with Sue about our seminar in August.
On a separate note, I am beginning to write a book on my years with Integral education, and would like very much to communicate with you, since we are in the same arena!! Here's my blog of ramblings, nothing as beautiful as yours, but a way for me to get out some of my connections:http://lawteach.zaadz.com/blog
Best,
Lynne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home